Welcome to the Upper Ninety family, Andrea Velgis! Andrea has a passion for advertising/communications and as a senior at UT Austin, she is ready to take over our social media and communications campaigns! Want to know more? Read on.
1. Where are you from? I’m from the desert town of El Paso, Texas. I was born in San Diego but consider Texas my forever home since we moved here when I was 5.
2. What are you up to now? I just started my last year of college! This is both exciting and scary… I love being an advertising major. The creative aspect of advertising is really intriguing to me because it combines art with psychology.
3. Why were you drawn to intern with Upper Ninety? I’ve always wanted to work for a nonprofit and Upper Ninety allows me to combine my passions for advertising/communications, working with kids, and my love of sports! My previous internship was at Sherry Matthews Advocacy Marketing where they do public service announcements like “Don’t Drink and Drive” and “Click It Or Ticket” all for the betterment of society. I like the kind of work that has meaning and purpose.
4. When you're not busy studying or working for Upper Ninety, what do you like to do in your free time? I love music, which makes Austin my perfect city! My favorite genre is Texas Blues and my all-time favorite musician is Stevie Ray Vaughan (Would definitely name my first born after him. Kidding. Or am I?) I also play the guitar from time to time. Another hobby of mine is photography. I’ve loved taking photos since I was very young.
5. What's one thing your University of Texas classmates don't know about you? My classmates probably don’t know that when I was 13 years old I visited Japan for three weeks! When I was in kindergarten I had a Japanese best friend and I thought her culture was absolutely fascinating. I spent my whole childhood reading about Japanese culture and when I was old enough, my dad surprised me with a the trip of a lifetime.